Wednesday, November 24, 2010

{Athletic Scholarships Must Go?}

So I first read the Rod Gilmore's article, "College Players Deserve Pay for Play," then I read John R. Gerdy's article, "For True Reform Athletic Scholarships Must Go," and now I am completely stumped. I do not know which side of the issue I am on; whether to pay college athletes or not. Both author's made extremely well developed, thought out points that had good justification. In Gerdy's article he argued that by taking away athletic scholarships, much of the academic issues in athletes, and even society's unhealthy competitive nature and view of sports would be changed. He made a very valid argument that by awarded scholarships to athletes, we are basically paying them to play, and "hiring" and "firing" them which all constitute professional sport.

I believe that enacting these changes and only awarding need based scholarships for athletes would take serious negotiating and lots of time but could potentially change the face of the entire athletic world.

No comments:

Post a Comment